Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Calm Between Easter Storms

It's 8:45am on Easter morning and I'm between services. At 7:00 this morning I gathered with about forty souls in the village's cemetery to celebrate Easter and the dawn of a new day. I had feared all kinds of wintery conditions, but the only thing we had to reckon with was cold; the village thermometer read 16 degrees when we began! Still, that's much better than what I secretly feared: freezing rain and mud. By the time we were half-way through Christ the Lord is Risen Today, I was getting warmed up!
After a brief worship service (about twenty minutes), we adjourned to the church, when the men had prepared a warm, delicious breakfast for us all! We filled up the fellowship hall with conversation and praise. A good time was had by all.
Now I'm sitting around, waiting for the next events to begin: Sunday School at 9:45am and worship at 10:45am. I hadn't figured on so much down-time this morning. I though I'd be running from one thing to the next, but here I am with an hour and a half to kill! I dare not go home and relax--I might never get back up! So, I'm in the office, thinking Easter thoughts.
In the long history of the Church, Easter is the time when adult converts (who have been prepared throughout the season of Lent) are baptized and get to partake in the Lord's Supper for the first time. Easter is supposed to be a communion service and that's what I'm doing this year. I don't think it's the usual turn of events, but I'm confident in the traditions.

No comments: