Sunday, July 13, 2014

This Just Read: Get Their Name

I'm running a bit behind on my book postings. A few weeks ago I read a book for church called Get Their Name: How to Grow Your Church by Building New Relationships, by Bob Farr, Doug Anderson, and Kay Kotar. It's a book about relational evangelism--sharing the good news through personal relationships.

Overall, it's a good book and reads quickly. It's divided into three short sections about: 1) teaching your church members to share their faith stories, 2) how to engage people and begin to form new relationships, and 3) church hospitality.

I read the first section at the Utica Coffee Roasting Company, my favorite hangout in Utica. It read quickly and got me pretty excited. I thought, "I'd love all my church leaders to read this!" It presents an ordered and accessible model for teaching your church members to begin sharing their stories.

The second section was OK, but struck me as a little contrived. It presented tips on how to initiate spontaneous, authentic conversations with strangers. Note: If you have to provide tips, it's neither spontaneous nor authentic.

The third section on hospitality was good. Nothing earth-shattering, but well-written and useful to local churches, without being overwhelming. I'm going to adopt some of their suggestions.

Overall, as good book. Readable and useful to local churches.

No comments: