Tuesday, September 2, 2014

This Just Read: The Odessa File

So, I was doing some travelling and needed something not-too-serious to read on the plane. I discovered that Frederick Forsyth's books were available on Kindle and snagged an old favorite: The Odessa File. Written in 1972 (and made into an excellent movie starring Jon Voight), I first read this thriller back in the early 1980s. Returning to it thirty years later, it holds up very nicely.

Set in the 1960s, it follows a young German journalist as he learns about the atrocities carried out by the Waffen SS during World War Two (and after). Our hero starts hunting a Nazi who's living in Germany under a false identity. The politics should seem dated, but read as if they're stripped from today's headlines.

I'm not going to give away the excellent ending. If you're looking for a good thriller, you may want to give this a shot. I may get The Day of the Jackal or The Dogs of War for my next business trip.

No comments: